Our achievements so far in keeping with the concept of a green hotel in Sri Lanka:
Introduction of treatment plant for sewage – which ultimately made a vast difference in the water quality on the beaches.
Recruitment of engineers and naturalists, to form a task force on transforming the entire hotel chain by taking a critical look at every aspect of the hotel and tourism operations and providing modern solutions such as:
- Hot water boilers fuelled by biomass – specifically cinnamon wood waste which proved to be extremely beneficial for both farmers and the reduction of energy consumption of the hotel chain.
- Designing the newer hotels to be completely solar powered and with the help of a diesel-transformer, selling the surplus back to the grid. This resulted in an enormous cost saving for the company and will also have an impact on Sri Lanka as a whole.
- Lighting has reduced the power demand curve by switching from incandescent to CFL to LED bulbs.
- The new hotels are all designed to make maximum use of cross ventilation – through drafts which keep the main spaces cool, without air conditioning.
- Jetwing is now pioneering into air conditioning via reverse absorption chillers – essentially a form of heat exchange – driven by steam from the biomass boiler.